- Make sure you are aware of historical keyphrase volume when reviewing which keyphrases to target. You can use Google’s Keyword Planner in addition to a number of other tools like SEMRush.
- Utilize the homepage and subsequent categorical landing pages for your broad/top of the funnel/most competitive phrases.
- Target longer tail keyphrases with sub-pages relevant to their homepage/landing page.
- No need to worry about loading your pages up with keyphrases. Natural language copy is the new norm. Key terms and related variants just need to be in their appropriate locations: page titles, headings, copy, images (filenames/alt attributes) and URLs.
- Your homepage and landing pages should be viewed as evergreen/cornerstone content pieces. Keep them updated on a set-in-stone schedule. This teaches Google how often to revisit the website.
- Here’s a big one – avoid all instances of internal content that competes. There’s a huge difference between content that competes and content that supports. Carefully construct the layout of the website using a spreadsheet that identifies the primary keyphrase targets and content focus of each and every page. Supporting content could be a sub-page or blog post that links back to the homepage or relevant landing page. Competing content will dilute the website’s ability to rank for a given phrase if Google can’t easily tell which page means what. This is one of the core reasons why quality content websites don’t rank well.
Tools provided by Rank Ranger and SEMRush help identify which pages are cannibalizing each other. As does a Google Search using the “site:” command. Example: yoursite.com: keyphrase (widgets.com: blue widgets).
- It is also important to pay close attention to page title character limits (60 max) and duplicated page titles, meta descriptions and headings. Landing page copy should be at least between 350 and 500 words. Use short, easy to read page titles, headings, paragraphs and sentences. Grammar and spelling count. Use Grammarly and typosaur.us.
- Don’t forget to make technical optimization considerations. Indexation, structured data, mobile-friendliness, HTTPS and site speed all assist with forming a solid SEO base that benefits keyphrase targeting.