Two Ways Into Google: Organic and Paid Search
There are two primary methods for obtaining visibility for your company in Google and other search engines. SEO and PPC. One involves natural/organic search results and the other paying for clicks from advertisements that are displayed within search results.
SEO – Search Engine Optimization (Organic Search)
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing a website and pages to rank within organic search engine results.
PPC – Pay Per Click Advertising (Paid Search)
Pay-per-click (PPC) is an advertising model where you pay for clicks to your website with ads that are displayed within search results.
- SEO generates consistent search traffic to your website for a flat monthly rate.
- Lower CPA
- Long-term, scalable results
- Broad targeting
- Requires ongoing effort to achieve and maintain results
- More difficult to measure
- Approx. 70% click on organic results
- PPC generates on-demand search traffic to your website on a cost-per-click basis.
- Higher CPA
- Short-term, pay-to-play
- Granular targeting
- Campaigns can be launched and generating traffic quickly
- Easier to measure
- Approx. 30% click on paid results
- Slow visibility gains
- Ongoing effort needed to maintain visibility and respond to search engine updates
- Can be difficult to measure
- Ads lose effectiveness/ad blindness
- Requires constant updating of copy, images and targeting
- Considered interruptive, as ads disrupt audience intent
- Paying per click in competitive environments can get increasingly expensive
Which is Best?
- BOTH are legitimate sources of acquiring website visitors. Usage depends on company objectives.
- SEO tends to cost less and take longer to gain visibility while PPC is immediate and easier to measure.
- Search engine users click on organic-driven (SEO) search results more than paid results (PPC).
- SEO is a long-term solution whereas PPC is short-term.
TIP: Examine CPA
Comparing the cost per acquisition (CPA) of SEO and PPC is often a helpful tool for determining how to spend search engine advertising budgets. Please contact us if you are interested in having a CPA analysis conducted for your company.